Sunday, March 27, 2011

The "Nursery"

Ross and I have been visiting First Baptist Church Jenks lately. We really enjoy the pastor and the people who attend there. We usually just keep Hadley with us in the main service; HOWEVER, that is quickly becoming too difficult. She is almost 8 months old...loves to talk and laugh...loves to eat puffs and squeal/giggle over them...and it's really hard to tell her to "sshhh", because she understands that so well. :)


After the service, we decided to check out the nursery, look around, and meet who her teachers would be. It was a very nice setup! There is only one door in and out of the nursery area, and those doors are locked at all times. You must be buzzed in. Each child has a name tag that matches the parents LAMINATED name tag. These have pictures of both the parents and the children on them. High-Tech right?!?


On our way home from church, Ross and I talked about the nursery and how we both felt about it. If nothing else, we were simply impressed by the security measures that were taken to keep our child safe. This brought up the conversation of how Times Have Changed!!


I remember when my parents dropped me off at the bowling alley "nursery" while they bowled for a league. I remember the half door, one old lady, and a long wooden teeter-totter "thing" that you could sit/ride on. There were also murals of forest and wild animals painted on the walls.


Ross remembers the "nursery" at the Women Only Mademoiselles on Pennsylvania Ave. His mother dropped him off to stay with an old lady who smoked and watched As The World Turns, while she worked out.


I'm not saying this with a bad connotation. We both survived and I know Hadley will too. It's just crazy to think how the concept of the "nursery" has changed over 26 (almost 27) years.


I did have a wonderful couple, Betty and Ed, that took care of me, my sisters, and my cousin when we were younger. I was pretty young, but they were definitely good people. :)

1 comment:

  1. While you were in the nursery at the bowling alley, I would start there and then end up in the restaurant while my counterpart did magic tricks.

    ReplyDelete